Friday, May 6, 2011

Thesis Acknowledgements Page: the unauthorized version

I’m still working on the acknowledgement page for my final thesis draft but I realized there were a few important people/things that deserved a slice of gratitude pie that I probably wouldn’t be allowed to mention in an official academic document. So in honor of my (hopefully) impending graduation, I present…

Acknowledgements Page: the unauthorized version
Undying (read: Zombie) love and highly mushy feelings for my poor, neglected husband, who for the last several months, has lived with a shell of the woman he married and tolerated a huge amount of mumbling about footnotes and interview transcripts over dinner (read: peanut butter and jelly) and stress-snoring every weekend.
night-of-the-living-dead
Original Photo Credit: Night of the Living Dead
Big slobbery kisses and hugs to the many friends and colleagues who let me ponder, whine, cry, complain, worry, rant, rave, brag, process, and/or otherwise emote about all things thesis-related. Among them: Sarah, Beth, Kate, Emily P., Emily D., Francesca, Jill, John, Robin and the Facebook community-at-large.
I’d like to thank Five Hour Energy for helping me defy the need for sleep (also, the laws of space and time). Hallucinating spiders and musical notes after 28 hours up has never been so easy.
THESIS 010
Mucho gratitude to Netflix Instant Watch for their generous support of my procrastination. Thanks, especially, for the obscure series runs. Who knew that I would have a deep-seated need to watch all eights seasons of Cheers? Why, Netflix, that’s who.
A special thank-you to my dog, Madigan, for making typing impossible. I’ve been trying to describe to people exactly how she does this. Here’s the best I can come up with:
Me: (typing)
COLD, WET NOSE NUDGES ELBOW.
Me: Hi, Maddy.
COLD, WET NOSE MANAGES TO SHOVE ENTIRE FLUFFY HEAD UNDER ELBOW.
Me: Uh…hey…
SCRAMBLE, SCRAMBLE ONTO LAP. PLEASED GRIN.
Me: (now trying to type with dog blocking entire laptop screen)
FURRY HEAD PUTS ENTIRE BODY WEIGHT ON TOP OF ARM.
Me: (relax arm)
FUZZY BODY STRETCH OUT ON TOP OF ARMS.
Me: (lift arms to type again)
LONE PAW APPEARS ON ARM.
Me: What do you want, Madigan?
CHIN RESTS ON HAND. CUE LONG-SUFFERING PUPPY SIGH.
Me: (give up rest of afternoon to belly rubs and snuggling)
madpie
FASHION NOTE: Oh, hey, and here I am shopping for my commencement regalia. I’m thinking of going with black polyester…it just feels right.

3 comments:

Zoey said...

Love this post. Like, love love LOVE.

Sarahcastically said...

This post is awesome.

And Madigan is so helpful. She and Leo should have a contest to see who is better at "helping." Last night Leo was "helping" my mom clean up the kitchen by walking all over the counter and at one point almost crawling into both the dishwasher and oven.

Lillian Lusk said...

So, how does the acknowledge page of your thesis project go? Well, having a little procrastination every once in a while can really be a big help when working thesis and phd dissertation project. It can help refresh the mind and at the same time relieve some stress cause by thinking of the project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...