Friday, November 12, 2010

Wilderness Song or Heathcliff was right, after all




I don't usually share my own poetry on this blog but I was thinking about the scarier parts of my own adventure in love and this is what came out. I was reminded tonight, especially, of a passage from Wuthering Heights that always stuck with me, even as a teenager. There are some things I cannot explain to anyone in prose, even myself.


"[...] haunt me, then! [...] Be with me always -- take any form -- drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" - Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights, Vol II.


I see the light go out,
A candle moved from room to room.
And where it goes,
I cannot follow.
Do not leave me here.

I am a voice crying out in a wilderness
And there is none to hear me here.
I cry for you.
I call.
Come back to me.

There is a song in my throat.
I am afraid and choke on the notes
Slipping one by one into this silent desert.
I wait for your answer,
Your echo.
It doesn't come.

Are you lost?
I will find you.

Mute and tired in your nightmare,
Put your monsters in my box.
I will keep them for you
To fight another day.
While you sleep away these dreaming hours,
Stay with me.

Do not go where I cannot follow...

Heathcliff was right, after all.





1 comment:

Jenni@Story of My Life said...

This gave me chills and actually made me tear up... I LOVE your poetry and think you should share more and more! :)

I'm currently having my blog redisigned, and after the reveal I'm including a tab for "poetry." I tend not to write it unless I've either just fallen madly in love or am in the very depths of despair, but maybe having a page for poetry will encourage me to write more. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...