Monday, August 20, 2012

Vegetable Mondays

LD13

In the last five months or so, I have been toying with the idea of becoming a full-fledged vegetarian. I like meat but most days, I can totally do without it and I’ve noticed that when I eat less meat, the better I physically feel. One of my really good friends is a long-time vegetarian and she and I have had lots of conversations about it.

Kyle…on the other hand…is not so thrilled about the idea of cutting meat from our diet. He actually grew up vegan, because of his dad, and has some really strong feelings associated with that. So every time I bring up the whole eat vegetables, not meat, thing, I can see him mentally calculating how he’ll hide the Slim Jim’s and the bacon bits from me.

And while the idea of really committing to this is exciting to me, I’m not interested in creating conflict in my marriage and I’m not interested in trying to make separate dinners for the two of us every night. So when Kyle said, out of the blue, that he would really like to try including more fruits and vegetables in his daily intake, I took it as a sign.

Today at lunch, we came up with a compromise. We’re going to try make one day a week a meat-free day and see how it goes. We’re starting with Mondays. If we find that we can both live with that, we’ll try for two. The point isn’t necessarily to stop eating meat altogether but to find some tasty meat-alternatives that offer good protein and nutrition and see how it affects our health and well-being. I’m also interested in the possibility that eating LESS meat will mean we can afford higher quality meat when we do buy it.

I’ve been working on my list of vegetarian dinners to try…eggplant lasagna, summer vegetable frittatas, savory polenta, gallo pinto, and veggie shepherd’s pie.

So help me out…do you have experience as a vegetarian? Do you have a meat-alternative you love? Recipes I should check out?

love, elizabeth

3 comments:

Ashley @ A Recipe for Sanity said...

Gardein is really good! It's a substitute for chicken that you can find in the freezer section. You can use it the way you'd use chicken. Also, I've gotta be honest..I love corn dogs, and Morningstar makes AMAZING corn dogs. Veggie ones! In the freezer section as well. So good.

Megan said...

I was a vegetarian for a little while, and I lived on a lot of pasta and potatoes, and some rice dishes. some of the middle eastern dishes my family makes are super easy and flavorful without meat, so I recommend a lot of spices and seasonings in place of meat broths and boullions. Good luck!

Ronni @ Anywhere Is said...

I also try to go at least one day a week without eating meat, and I try to go as long as possible without eating beef. My husband, on the other hand, is a strictly meat and potatoes kinda guy (although he does love his smoothies), so sometimes dinner is interesting.

Good luck! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...