Thursday, July 28, 2011

Don't Laugh.

But sometimes....(cough) sometimes I pretend I'm...a vampire slayer. Okay, before you say, "Aaaaaand I'm done" and click the little red X to get the heck out of this blog...hear me out.

There's no denying it. I'm a Buffy fan. I could probably write a book about why I think Buffy is so awesome. She's tough, beautiful, witty, loves fiercely, fights fiercely, has found her higher calling, and does it all in a flawless wardrobe (okay, "flawless" in the year 1999). Buffy subverts the attitude that women need to be rescued, that women need men to find their purpose.



Source: google.com via Valya on Pinterest


So sometimes...when it's late at night and I have to walk to my car in a dark parking lot or through a neighborhood that's a little less than safe, I actually imagine that I am Buffy and that I'm hunting vampires. It sounds ridiculous, I know. But it's really hard to be scared when you start walking around like you might have to kill a demon at any moment. It makes me feel a little braver and it definitely gives me an attitude when I'm walking that says, "Don't mess with me or I'll have to stake you through the heart."
Source: None via Kyle on Pinterest

There's no substitution for pepper spray or, you know, a friend to walk with, but in a pinch, I still pull out my best slayer moves.




"If the apocalypse comes, beep me." -- Buffy


What about you? What makes YOU feel tougher?
love, elizabeth

PS: I'm going to assume any remnants of cool I possessed have disappeared with this post. Oh, well. And have you entered this giveaway, yet?

10 comments:

Mami en construcción said...

haha I'm not. But when I'm scared, and I'm walking alone, I grab my car keys to have some kind of "weapon" to attack or defend if it's necessary. haha

Janet @ Made For This said...

The thing that makes me feel tough is when I have to defend my children against all enemies, foreign or domestic. Then by golly, there is NO stopping me. THAT is when I am the toughest, feel the toughest, am the meanest, and NOT to be trifled with.
I love you, Baby Girl. DON'T WALK ALONE!

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Haha. I've never watched a Buffy episode (I know...) but I totally understand what you are talking about. I pretend I'm a female assassin and if any man messes with me I will be able to kill him with 1-2 moves.

I can't REALLY do that, but it is good to imagine these things because you're much likely to default to "fight" instead of "freeze" if attacked.

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

And I second chloe- I usually put my keys between my fingers so my pitiful punch will pack a bloody blow.

Sarahcastically said...

I usually pretend I'm Sydney Bristow. I also always have my keys out and I always try to remember the stuff I learned in the karate class I took in college. Collarbones are easy to break, everyone! It only takes like seven pounds of pressure to break one, so knife chopping one of those suckers can pretty easily take away some scary dude's use of his arm.

(Granted, one-armed men can still do considerable damage, as Harrison Ford can attest, but that's different. That one-armed man had already lost his arm and wasn't dealing with the pain of a broken bone.)

noone said...

haha I just watched Buffy season 1-4 last year all over again. its pretty sweet. I still think Sarah Michelle Galler is soo hot, too bad she's pretty much retired now.

Becca {A Blonde's Logic} said...

I'm sorry but I laughed! She is so tough!

Becca
http://blondeslogic.blogspot.com

Ashley @ A Recipe for Sanity said...

Sometimes I sing to myself! Or, sometimes I'm a huge dork and I start running if I'm REALLY scared. And then there's the technique my mom taught me where you hold your key in such a way that your hand is in a fist and your key is poking out to poke someone if necessary.

Marina said...

Dear Buffy, please kill Edward so I don't have to see him anymore.

:) Just joking.. Somebody would kill me for saying that :)

Whitney @ EHFAR said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Buffy. That used to one of my favorite shows back in the 90s. Hubby is a Joss Whedon fan and loved Firefly, which also made Buffy. About two months ago, Teen Nick started showing Buffy from episode one, and I got the hubby hooked. I loved her, and sooo wanted to be her! Still kind of do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...