Most of my favorite blogs focus on the very best things about their long-term relationships, the fun and the romance and the sexy/serious/celebratory. And I looooooooove that!
But here are a few things about marriage that AREN’T quite so romantic…funny maybe. But not sexy. I’m sure everyone’s list is different. This one’s mine.
1. Bills. The big and the little. The sheer amount of bank statements, insurance claims, and assundry paperwork that ends up on our kitchen table every month is probably my number one annoyance. It’s amazing how much more we get as a married couple than we did on our own.
2. Illness. This ranges from the scary ER visit all the way down to the common, drippy, sneezy, holed-up-in-bed cold.
3. Peeing with the door open. Just sayin’.
4. Bickering. Not legitimate disagreements or even all-out-gloves-off brawls. Just those silly, little
nothing fights, as Dane Cook would say, about ridiculous things like whether or not someone had a tone when they said “whatever” or whose turn it is to take out the dog or empty the dishwasher or whether or not Transformers: Dark of the Moon is worth $19 in theater admission. Like I said…fights about nothing.
5. Boy smell. I’m not even talking about body odor or stinkiness. I’m talking about the sheer MAN SMELL that emanates from sleeping husbands. Man smell. It’s a real thing.
6. Exhaustion. This one is just inevitable. If you are a busy, hard-working person, you are going to get tired. If you are TWO busy, hard-working people trying to make time to be romantic, well…more often than not, you’re going to be exhausted.
In conclusion, marriage is soooooooo exactly like this:
Thanks, Fergie, for so perfectly expressing it. Thanks, also, to Sarah @ Sarahcastically for the totally sincere video suggestion.
What makes YOUR not-so-sexy list?
Still in love (and still married) despite the occasional non-sexiness of it all,