Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers

Yesterday was cool and rainy and I was definitely feeling the whole kitchen thing. I had spotted a recipe for stuffed peppers attached to a coupon in the Sunday paper a couple weeks ago and clipped it. Here’s the modified version I made for dinner last night.

Ingredients:

  • Cooked rice (I used Basmati but it would probably be great with Jasmine or brown rice, too)
  • Large red, yellow, and orange bell peppers (1 pepper a person)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 package fully-cooked chicken sausage (I used Johnsonville Chicken Apple Sausage and it was delicious) thinly sliced/diced
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 package of fresh mushrooms, chopped (I used portabella but I think cremini or anything else would work well)
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon, fresh sage, fresh oregano chopped

Cook rice. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Dinner8

Remove pepper tops and seeds.

Dinner1

Dinner2

Brush with olive oil inside and out. Lightly salt and pepper inside.

Dinner4

Roast peppers, open tops up in oven for 30 min.

Dinner10

While peppers are roasting, saute sausage, onion, mushrooms, and herbs with 1-2 T olive oil on stovetop. Add chopped apple. Cook until all tender.

Dinner7

Dinner9

Stir in rice and heat through.

Dinner11

Fill peppers and serve. Garnish with pepper tops, if desired.

Dinner12

This was a light, satisfying meal and served about 4. Will totally make this again. I think it’s a company-worthy dish and looks so pretty on the plate. I also think this would be yummy without the meat, for any of my vegetarian/vegan readers.

 

What about you? Anyone have a fall recipe they’ve been itching to try?

love, elizabeth

PS: I hope you’re getting excited because it’s going to be Friday very soon…in case you haven’t heard, I’ll be announcing the fall giveaway!

6 comments:

Mami en construcción said...

Yummmm!
I think this recipe is so easy!
I have to try this one soon!!
Thanks for sharing!

Alex Byer said...

Oooooh eeeeenteresting. The boyfriend makes stuffed peppers, but he stuffs them AND then puts them in the oven. I like this idea. I may have to try supah soon :)

Janet @ Made For This said...

I love how colorful this meal was and your sweater matched it! Very nice!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

that looks heavenly elizabeth! i will have to try that soon! and i love the corona in the background:-
)

Suget said...

That looks good.
I am normally not a chili or pepper girl. I grew up eating plain food with no spices. But I am willing to try new stuff.

Shoshanah said...

I love bell peppers and I've been telling myself I need to stuff some for a while now. I love how this recipe has apples in it, and it gets colder I definitely want to try this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...