Yesterday was cool and rainy and I was definitely feeling the whole kitchen thing. I had spotted a recipe for stuffed peppers attached to a coupon in the Sunday paper a couple weeks ago and clipped it. Here’s the modified version I made for dinner last night.
- Cooked rice (I used Basmati but it would probably be great with Jasmine or brown rice, too)
- Large red, yellow, and orange bell peppers (1 pepper a person)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package fully-cooked chicken sausage (I used Johnsonville Chicken Apple Sausage and it was delicious) thinly sliced/diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 package of fresh mushrooms, chopped (I used portabella but I think cremini or anything else would work well)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 teaspoon, fresh sage, fresh oregano chopped
Cook rice. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Remove pepper tops and seeds.
Brush with olive oil inside and out. Lightly salt and pepper inside.
Roast peppers, open tops up in oven for 30 min.
While peppers are roasting, saute sausage, onion, mushrooms, and herbs with 1-2 T olive oil on stovetop. Add chopped apple. Cook until all tender.
Stir in rice and heat through.
Fill peppers and serve. Garnish with pepper tops, if desired.
This was a light, satisfying meal and served about 4. Will totally make this again. I think it’s a company-worthy dish and looks so pretty on the plate. I also think this would be yummy without the meat, for any of my vegetarian/vegan readers.
What about you? Anyone have a fall recipe they’ve been itching to try?
PS: I hope you’re getting excited because it’s going to be Friday very soon…in case you haven’t heard, I’ll be announcing the fall giveaway!