Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thankful

Thankful2
Sometimes it’s a bad idea to turn on the news. Kyle and I don’t have television so we don’t watch the headlines but we do listen to a lot of radio. After a particularly depressing round of stories about the bad economy, the rising unemployment, the violent upheaval around the world, and the famine in Ethiopia, I found myself in the grocery store check-out line last night.

“How are you today?” the cashier asked as he handed me my receipt.

“You know, I’m alright,” I said. “After listening to the news, I’m feeling like I’m doing pretty good, considering.”

He nodded, “Yeah, I guess it’s just good that we’re still here.”

His words have stuck with me since yesterday.

I don’t really talk about this  on the blog very much but I volunteer as an advocate for sexual assault survivors who come to the hospital. It’s something I’m very, very passionate about and I love having the opportunity to be a tiny part of her or his recovery “team.” This morning, after a particularly difficult case, I was once again struck by the cashier’s words, “I guess it’s just good that we’re still here.”

I am often tempted to be discouraged by the financial struggle, the stress of grad school, the difficulty of marriage and of life, period. This morning I was reminded that God’s provision in my life continues to be very real and very consistent. I may not have all it together in terms of money or career or life goals…but God has been good enough to keep me sheltered and loved and showered with opportunities to love others. And no recession or debt crisis or famine can take away my ability to love. I am still here. And that means God has someone for me to love.

So today I am thankful for the reminder. I am thankful to be here. And I am thankful for each of you.

What about you? What are feeling especially thankful for this week?

love, elizabeth

9 comments:

Mami en construcción said...

Awe, this is such an inspiring post!!
You're so right!!
I'm thankful for having everything I need and more than I deserve! I'm thankful for my husband, my family, my pet, friends, bloggy friends, my house, clothes, hot water, food and good health.
Sorry I've been such a bad commenter lately! But when I'm home it's like 10 pm and I'm ready to have dinner, shower and go to bed!
I'll be a better bloggy friend in two weeks, when our vacations are over and we'll back to reality! haha

My Bathroom Is My Castle said...

And I love reading your postings! So glad that I found your blog.
_______

I'm thankful to be healthy. Thankful to live in peace. Thankful to have a home and food. A family and friends.
All that things no matters of course.
But we often forget this.

XOXO

Alex Byer said...

There are so many things to be thankful for each day. But today, I'm thankful for beautiful, healthy babies born to wonderful and loving parents :)

I'm glad you wrote this post :)

Faith said...

loving this post ... it is always great to have a reminder ...

i am thankful to God, my husband, for my health, my friends, my family, my career ... thankful to be honest that i am still here.

Janet @ Made For This said...

I am thankful for YOU and for Kyle, and for Ben, and for Dad. And for Sophie and for Madigan. And that the Lord saw fit to make me HIS.

Unknown said...

I love getting wisdom from unexpected places. Thank you for sharing.

Charissa Steyn said...

Incredibly thankful for God's grace that empowers me to live for him in all I do ... without his grace I don't know where I'd be.

Ashley @ A Recipe for Sanity said...

I'm thankful for so much, especially the people in my life who love me and the people who are helping me become a stronger, healthier person.

It's interesting that you brought up survivors, because I am one as well. After it happened and the dust cleared, I came to understand exactly what you said: "I'm still here." I'm thankful for that all of the time. I think we've all faced situations in our lives where things could have turned out differently, and still being here is such a gift.

Suget said...

amazing stuff.
I know how you feel about reading the news or hearing about it. I banned myself from CNN from time to time. So much heartbreak.
Thats great to hear that you help though. I really want to give back and help out other groups around here, I probably won't until my sons get older though. So we'll see.
Keep up the good work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...