Monday, December 17, 2012

Holding Things Loosely

Things

Kyle and I have recently had to make the decision to move. We’re not leaving Columbus or anything but we do have to find another place to live when our lease is up in February. We’ve lived in this apartment for three years and, though we will miss our incredible maintenance staff and the great location, we’re ready for the new adventure.

As part of our move, we’ve decided to downsize from a two to one bedroom. Part of this is practical and financially motivated and part of this is about something that has been floating around my heart for awhile now. I find myself more and more in love with owning less, with making our life simpler, smaller. Some part of me feels like if I could make some room in my heart, the world might seem bigger, brighter, and even more full of possibility. I have often felt constrained by my things. So in the last few months, I have begun to give things away. And I am amazed at how different (differently?) I feel. It’s like a whole new kind of freedom that I didn’t even realize I was searching for.

The more I give, the more I want to give. The more I give, the less I want. The more I give, the more gifts I find to give. I am intrigued by the possibility that giving is not just better than receiving…giving might actually be receiving.

I’ve heard many people use the expression, “holding things with loose hands” but I think the quote can best be attributed to Holocaust survivor, Corrie Ten Boom. "Hold loosely to the things of this life,” she was often quoted as remarking, “so that if God requires them of you, it will be easy to let them go." I long for the ability to hold things loosely. It’s sort of scary to try and imagine what I might be asked to give up but it’s exciting, too.

I’m sure I’ll be writing about this again (and talking a lot more about house-hunting, too). If you have downsizing or house-hunting tips, please share!

love, elizabeth

2 comments:

Ashley @ A Recipe for Sanity said...

Congrats to you guys on the next big adventure! Our current house is actually a little smaller than our last apartment. In preparation for moving, we sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist and gave a bunch of other stuff away to Goodwill. We used the extra cash to pay bills and buy things we needed for the new place. It was a good time to get rid of things we didn't really have to have any more and get a clean start in our new home.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

New adventures are always fun....the mister and I shared a studion when we first got matured and it was probably the best thing for us. I love that quote...sometimes it is scary to think what God will ask u to give up but I'm reminded it was not ours to keep in the first place. Good luck on the new adventure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...