Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Success

I love to cross things off of lists. That’s about 90% of the joy of list-making for me. That rush that comes with the ink running through words and…okay, I clearly have a list-making problem. But last month I crossed two big things off my bucket list for 2012. (Incidentally, I’m not doing so hot getting that list done but it isn’t terrible, I guess.) 

In November, I passed my candidacy exams – 18 hours of writing, 42 pages, and a 2 hour oral defense. I don’t know that I have ever been that stressed out about anything in my life but I did it and it’s over and I PASSED! I am officially a PhD candidate. And clearly, very, VERY sophisticated.

profile1 profile2

                          BEFORE                                                                         AFTER

I also fulfilled my promise to myself to learn how to make a pie crust from scratch. It was not the prettiest but it tasted great and I’ll be excited to keep practicing!

pie1pie4

pie7pie6

What thing did you cross of your list recently?

love, elizabeth

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is so awesome!!! Congratulations to you! I am trying to get better at crossing off goals on my list. I recently crossed off staying vegetarian through Thanksgiving!

Alex Byer said...

Congratulations girl!!!!!! So exciting! And I'm in the process of crossing off my marathon goal :)

Courtney said...

Oh yum! And boy can I ever relate to finding joy in crossing things off lists. Is it not thee best thing ever!

Jennifer Owens said...

First of all - congrats on passing all of your candidacy exams! What an accomplishment!

Second - as someone who has been perfecting pie crusts for years....my Grammy spent years trying to teach me, I do have a few tips for you.

Always and ONLY use Gold Medal Flour and Crisco - those name brands really help. If it says to add ice water (to kind of mesh the pie dough together), make sure it's really ice cold! And something I do - I do the recipe plus a half recipe when making one pie crust. It might be slightly wasteful, but you have more pie crust dough to roll over the edges and have a better chance of getting your edges to curl over. It's just what worked for me.

Sorry, I'm pathetically passionate about perfect pie crusts! (o:

Sarah S. said...

Congrats on passing! and on making a pie crust :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...