Saturday, February 4, 2012

DIY: Valentine’s Day Decorations

Like I said, Valentine’s Day is kind of one of my favorite holidays…and this year I had fun making my own decorations.

ValentineDec

I wrapped some strips of newsprint around plain glass votives and tied them with ribbon.

ValentinesDec5ValentinesDec4

This is a recycled metal rose that Kyle bought me at a renaissance fair a few years ago…

ValDec

I glued five or six white and black hearts together and hung them staggered in the living room window.

It’s interesting how things connect in our brains. All the heart shapes and images that have shown up this February have stuck with me.

Sometimes I’m not sure who can be trusted with my heart. I have lots of wonderful friends and family and I love them all. But I think sometimes that I open myself up too much. Am I too trusting, too careless with my heart? I only have the one very vulnerable, very young heart and sometimes I worry about giving too much of myself away.  I wonder about this and I wonder about my fear and I wonder about the wisdom of really being yourself fully and totally in this world.

It’s important to let people in. But maybe I do this too easily, too much. The fact is, not everyone deserves my whole heart. Only a few, in fact. I also want to be sure that I’m the kind of person that can be trusted with the hearts of others. It’s not every day someone hands you their heart.

What about you? Who do you trust with your heart, your deepest, most personal thoughts and feelings and self? Do you always feel safe doing that? Have you ever regretted it?

love, elizabeth

2 comments:

Ashley @ A Recipe for Sanity said...

I love your decorations, first of all. Every time you show pictures of things you've made, I feel like I get a glimpse of the way your mind works and of your spirit...I love it! Makes me so happy. I wish I were nearly as creative.

As far as my heart goes, I've definitely over-extended myself before. I have a hard time in friendships. I tend to think the best of people (which is good), but sometimes I fail to see the reality of the other person and then I get surprised that they aren't as perfect as I thought...and then I'm hurt that I put my heart out there. I realize sometimes that I tend to be more open and extend myself more than people do with me...and it's not always healthy for me. Hopefully that all makes sense.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Love the candle decor...aside from God...I would say I trust the hubby with my whole heart...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...