Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On my nightstand

I can’t be the only person that does this. I start about eight different books and so it takes me like…months to get anything read because I just obstinately refuse to focus on one thing at a time. I thought I’d share what’s been on my nightstand recently. Don’t laugh.

BlogStand1

Allow me to justify. Bottom to top: Melodramatic Formations is for my course on 19th century popular entertainment. Trauma Stewardship was a gift from the staff of the rape crisis center where I volunteer and I’m trying to use it more in my day-to-day life. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is totally creepy and was my Christmas book from Kyle (spoiler alert: as books go, it’s not so Christmas-y). The Night They Raided Minsky’s is part of my research on burlesque star Rose La Rose. The House at Riverton was a gift from my dad and is super Daphne Du Maurier-ish. Flapper is an excellent non-fiction examination of the history of flapper girls through the lens of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. Three to Get Deadly is delicious mystery-novel garbage but Stephanie Plum is a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey, okay? and I love her. And The Catcher in the Rye is just there in case I need Holden to make me feel better.

Bonus: Kyle’s nightstand. He’s a little more disciplined than I am, hence the shorter stack…

BlogStand2

What about you? What’s on your nightstand right now? Are you a one-at-a-time reader or do you like to jump around as the mood suits you?

love, elizabeth

8 comments:

Dan H said...

I could never read more than one book at a time. It's just not right!

Sarahcastically said...

I don't have a night stand but I do have Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (because I heard John Green helped mentor Ransom Riggs as he was writing it and they're good friends), and The House at Riverton is on my to-read list because I read it was good for people who liked Downton Abbey. Which I do. You will have to tell me if it's good in a million years when you finally finish it.

Loulabelle.x* said...

I read a million and one books. I'm doing an English Language and Literature degree so you can imagine the reading that entails, but other than books I have to read for uni, I can sometimes have three of four on the go, usually I have one for when I'm laid in bed, one I have on the go for bath-time and one for the commute to and from uni on the train. I sometimes have others that I start and then forget about though.

Love reading. And I finished "The House at Riverton" a few months back. It was a decent read, something I'd read again, although not in my top 10 lol.

Nice collection, though :).

Indisposable Mama said...

I am absolutely the same way! I'm reading 5 books right now. I bought a Nook - I can keep them all in one place and always have the one with me that I need/want!

Mandy
www.indisposablemama.com

Ronni @ Anywhere Is said...

I definitely jump around with my books. Mine are not on my nightstand. There are two stacks next to my bed, each stack bout 6-7 books deep!

Suget said...

hahaha I have the same problem as you. I order books and when they come in I stack them next to the others that I want to start reading soon. I need a whole month off to get through some books. These books look interesting.

Suget said...

hahaha I have the same problem as you. I order books and when they come in I stack them next to the others that I want to start reading soon. I need a whole month off to get through some books. These books look interesting.

Meg @ write meg! said...

I was a book monogamist for many years, reading one book -- and one book only -- at a time. Sometime around when I started blogging, especially about books, I got totally antsy -- and now I usually have at least two books going at once, plus an audio for my car! I'm whimsical like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...